Facilitator/Mediator/conflict Coach/Trainer self employed
Gay has over 30 years experience providing mediation, facilitation and training services to clients experiencing disputes from homeowners, insurance companies education, health, environment, central and local government, family businesses, industry and commerce plus non-profit service providers. The reward of seeing people move from conflict to satisfaction has been a prime motivation for working in this field.
Gay is experienced in mediating conflicts involving power imbalance, contractual issues and advocates. Her approach aims to sensitively support parties who feel, or are, disadvantaged in relation to other parties.
In private practice since 1995, Gay was formerly manager of the Centre for Resolving Environmental Disputes at Lincoln University.
Since 1990 much of Gay's conflict resolution work has involved dealing with resource management conflicts or issues within organisations. In post earthquake Christchurch she has had a strong focus on achieving facilitated agreements between homeowners and insurance companies through the Residential Advisory Service.
Examples of case work
- 2014 - 2016 Ongoing, facilitating resolution of homeowner, EQC and insurance company disputes over repairs or rebuilds.
- 2015 - 2016 Facilitated workplace teams with internal conflicts to find ways of working collaboratively.
- 2010 -2011 - Facilitated the New Zealand Forestry Standards Development Group to draft sustainable plantation standards for the international body Forest Stewardship Council.
- 2009 Designed and facilitated Christchurch City Council and client forums to improve building and resource consent application processes.
- 2006 - 2009 Facilitated Lyttelton Harbour Wastewater Working Party of community representatives and Christchurch City Council staff and elected members to investigate the best ways to manage wastewater in the harbour basin.
Gay is appointed on cases for short terms and stays independent of any organisation associated with her fields of work.
Resolving one-to-one conflicts including business relationships
Homeowners and insurance disputes
Resolving conflicts within and between teams, between management and staff and between organisations.
Resolving resource management conflicts
Conflict coaching to assist individuals to self manage their conflicts
Training in collaboration skills, negotiation and conflict management
Gay originally earned mediator accreditation with the Community Mediation Service, Christchurch, 1984. Since this time she has undertaken training in New Zealand, U.S.A and Australia in a range of specialised courses including mediation, facilitation, public issues conflict resolution, conflict coaching and training.
EQC Mediation Profile
spent most of her life living and working in Christchurch and Banks Peninsula and has been here through the numerous earthquakes. For further information: www.endispute.co.nz