A construction law specialist, John is an arbitrator, Construction Contracts Act adjudicator and commercial mediator, practising out of Bankside Chambers in Auckland and Maxwell Chambers in Singapore.
John specialises in:
- major infrastructure development (peer reviewing and probity auditing)
- dispute avoidance
- dispute management and resolution (as arbitrator/adjudicator/mediator)
- dispute boards
- project mediation
His experience extends to all public sector procurement, including information and communications technology (ICT), health, water and waste water, energy, transportation, property and real estate, insurance, banking and finance.
Over recent years, John has also developed a speciality in marine construction, particularly super yachts (largely as a result of his involvement in the development of facilities for the America's Cup defence in 2000).
2003 - Present Commercial Barrister, specialising in construction and infrastructure projects (John joined Bankside Chambers in 2009)
1995 - 2002 Buddle Findlay, Auckland (partner from 1998)
1991 - 1994 McKenna & Co, Hong Kong
1989 - 1990 Nabarro Nathanson, London
1987 - 1989 Park Nelson, London
1985 - 1986 Scott Morrison Dunphy & Co, Wellington
1982 - 1985 Macalister Mazengarb Parkin & Rose, Wellington
Numerous appointments as arbitrator, adjudicator and mediator, particularly in construction and infrastructure related disputes.
For full list of publications and downloads, visit www.johnwalton.co.nz/publications
Major construction and procurement expertise applied with sound commercial judgement.
John Walton is a technology, engineering and construction law specialist, project mediator, domestic and international arbitrator, commercial mediator and adjudicator.
From December 2016 to September 2018, Mr Walton became President of the Arbitrators' and Mediators' Institute of New Zealand; he was co-vice chair of the 2018 ICCA Congress in Sydney and host of the ICCA-AMINZ International Arbitration Day in Queenstown.
He has been named in the successive years of Who's Who Legal Construction as one of the world's leading construction lawyers, and by LawFuel as one of the top 10 mediators in NZ and one of the arbitrators to watch in the same edition.
- Local Government
- Marine Industry
- Banking & Finance
- Insurance Health
- Real Estate
- Fellow, Arbitrators' and Mediators' Institute of New Zealand Inc.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- Fellow of the Asia Institue of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators
- AMINZ Panel of Arbitrators
- AMINZ Panel of Mediators
- AMINZ Panel of Adjudicators
- LLB (VUW)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand (1984)
- Solicitor England and Wales (1992)
- Solicitor Hong Kong (1992)
- Member Institute of Directors
- LLM (University of Auckland) 2012