Peter Bates ANZIV, AAMINZ, SPINZ
Arbitrator and Forensic Valuer of Real Estate
I provide Forensic Valuation advice through Bates Forensic Valuation Ltd. I am also a Valuation Arbitrator. As an arbitrator with a valuation and law background, I am well placed to offer a fair, fast and final solution to value disputes.
Over the last 15 years, I have valued a wide variety of property types, including high value cliff-top and beach-front residential properties, subdivision blocks, Council portfolios, high-rise apartment complexes, lifestyle blocks, commercial, industrial and retail properties. I have enjoyed quite a range of experience within the valuation profession, from inner city to countryside practice and have valued 'land' from high rise to seabed (inclusive). With a strong private sector background, I have worked as a Senior Valuer for the corporate arm of the largest valuation company in NZ.
Bates Forensic Valuation Ltd has well established clientele in the niche forensic valuation evidence market. For the balance of my valuation career, I worked for what were top firms of varying scale, as a Senior Valuer at Auckland City Council and really enjoyed my position as a Valuation Tutor at Massey University. I have served on the Auckland Branch Committees of both NZIV and PINZ. As a PINZ FAA committee member, I contributed to the PINZ and NZIV submission to the Select Committee for the Financial Advisers Act. I am an executive member of the Law and Economics Association of New Zealand (LEANZ) and can recommend you look them up, become a member and come along to the informative events.
My key practice areas are:
1. Real Estate Valuation Arbitrator, and;
2. Forensic Valuation (focus: residential, lifestyle and mixed use real estate).
I enjoy my field and am happy to assist. Feel welcome to call to see how we can help with your matter +64 9 482 0209. My qualifications include:
- Post Graduate Certificate in Business, Massey University (2008) with his post-graduate study focusing on Property and Dispute Resolution;
- Bachelor of Business Studies double major: (Valuation Property Management and Business Law), Massey University (2003);
- Bachelor of Laws (completed in 2012 and awaiting graduation in 2013);
- Diploma in Arts (Humanities and Social Sciences), Massey University (2011), and;
- Certificate in Business Studies (Dispute Resolution) Massey University (2011).
My professional standing includes:
- Associate of the New Zealand Institute of Valuers;
- Senior Member of the Property Institute of New Zealand;
- Qualified Member of the Auckland District Law Society Inc;
- Student Member of the New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors;
- Associate of the Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand Inc;
- Registered Public Valuer under the Valuers Act 1948 (with APC);
- Enrolled Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand (no longer practising law), and;
- Enrolled Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland, Australia.
In 2013 I was awarded the Property Council of New Zealand Prize for academic achievement in the study of property law. In 2012 I was also awarded the Auckland University of Technology commendations of:
- The Deans List for the Top Student in Law and Economics;
- The Deans List for the Top Student in Current Issues in Land Ownership, and;
- The Deans List for the Top Student in Legal Ethics.