Maria Dew QC
Barrister, Bankside Chambers
Maria is in practice as a civil litigation barrister.
Maria has over 15 years experience as a commercial mediator. In 2014, she was awarded the New Zealand Law Awards, Mediator of the Year. A sample of the mediations she is involved with include:
- Multiparty construction disputes;
- Employment disputes;
- Professional fees disputes; and
- Charitable trust, incorporated society, church and community mediation.
Her appointments include:
- New Zealand Law Society Complaints Service Mediation Panel, August 2009 to current.
- Weathertight Mediation Panel, Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment 2011 to 2018.
- AMINZ Complaints Committee, 2016 to current (Convener).
- Deputy Chair, Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal 2013 to current.
- Expert Panel, Domain Names Commission Dispute Resolution 2014 to current
- New Zealand Bar Council, 2017 to current.
- New Zealand Law Society, Employment Law Committee, 2016 to current (Convener).
- Auckland High Court Mediation Pilot, Panel of Mediators, 2009 / 2010
- New Zealand Law Journal, International Commercial mediation under the spotlight at UNICTRAL, Maria Dew and Nina Khouri ,Sept 2016 (Part 1) & Feb 2017 (Part 2).
- AMINZ Conference 2016, International Commercial Mediation.
- AMINZ Conference 2013, Commercial Mediation Seminar.
- AMINZ Mediation Seminar Series, Mediation for Non-Mediators, March 2011.
- New Zealand Lawyer Magazine, Mediation Confidentiality, February 2011.
- Auckland District Law Society, Commercial Mediation Seminar July 2008.
- Auckland District Law Society, Mediation in the Employment, February 2007.
- LEADR Workshop, Legal Issues in Mediation, 2006.
Otago University (LLB 1986) Victoria University (LLM 1999)
Maria has gained following mediator accreditation;
- AMINZ Mediation Panel Member, 2011 to current;
- LEADR Mediator Accreditation 2004 to 2011;
- National Mediator Accreditation, LEADR (Aust) 2009.