Sam Maling CFInst D
Arbitrator Adjudicator & Mediator
Law Professional since 1969;
Chartered Fellow NZ Institute of Directors.
Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand (AMINZ)-Arbitration, Adjudication and MediationPanelist. Family Law Arbitration List.
NZ Dispute Resolution Centre (NZDRC & FDRC)- Principal Panelist Arbitration and Mediation.
Law experience includes over 45 years’as an advocatewith a special interest in:
- Local Authority work (Hospitals and Health work; Port Authority work))
- Insurance work forLawyers, Accountants and Engineers
- Property disputes ( including Family Relationship Property work)
- Succession,Trust,Trustee and Trust Company work
- Company and Commercial problems including Shareholder disputes
- Negligence and other personal liabilty cases
- Resource Management (Consenting and prosecution defence work for water irrigation,coastal and harbours);
- Public Works including compensation claims and High Country Tenure Review
- Judicial Review
- Disciplinary Tribunal (Accountants, Lawyers and Motor Vehicle Dealers)
Previous appointments include:
- Partner Lane Neave Lawyers, Christchurch, from 1972 to 1998, Executive Chairman 1994 to 1997
- Broadcasting Standards Authority Chair 1997 to 2000. A quasi-judicial authority determining complaints and code compliance.
President Canterbury District Law Society 1994 (council member), 1985 to 1994
Vice-President New Zealand Law Society 1995 – 1998
New Zealand Counciland New Zealand Law Society Board Member 1993-98
Business and Governance
- 14 years (1996-2010) NZX Listed companies Pyne Gould Corporation Limited PGG Wrightson (PGW) and NZ Farming Systems (Uruguay) Ltd (NZFSU). Board governance and committee work; listing compliance; Bond and capital issues, prospectus work and investor relations
Chair PGC Group 1999-2010.
- Financial Services (MARAC director and Chair) Trustee Services (Perpetual Trust director and Chair) 1996-2010
Chair Foundation Corporate Trust - an FMA StatutorySupervisor2011-15
- Member – NZ Council of Legal Education 2010 –
- Member-Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal 2011-
- Chairman Lofts Body Corporate-Queenstown residential complex 2005-
- NZ IOD presenter and Facilitator 2011-
- NZ Law Society practitioner member
- NZ Bar Association member
- Dispute Resolution Practitioner FairWay Resolution Ltd
I have been recorded as Counsel in a number of reported decisions over my years in practice.Google me if you are intereseted or want to see the sort of cases I have handled.
In my role with Broadcasting Standards published complaint decisions are a matter of record.These can be accessed through the BSA website.
Today the focus of my work as an Arbitrator, Adjudicator
For more information on how I make this work and to check for possible conflicts see my website www.sammaling.nz
In my work as an Arbitrator and Adjudicator I have conducted hearings involving parties throughout New Zealand across a broad range of issues including:
- Lease disputes including rights to renew, exercise of options, rent review and valuation disputes, cancellation, termination and reinstatement of premises
- Commercial disputes including Franchise obligations,contract interpretation and declaration work,claims for breach of contract,specific performance, and damages. Interim relief, taking of Accounts and injunctions.
- Land and property work including Sale and Purchase disputes,restrictive covenant compliance, Public Works Acquisition and Compensation,Unit Titles and cross lease title work.
- Legal and Accounting practice disputes including dissolutions, valuation and goodwill issues.
- Building and Construction disputes including Construction Contracts Act Adjudication
- Rural Business and farm partnership disputes including Shareholder Agreement disputes,share valuation, taking of accounts and dissolution;Dairy joint venture disputes; Sharemilking disputes
- Company Governance disputes including share valuations; director differences; pre-emptive rights; minority oppression and Body Corporate disputes
- Trust and Trustees disputes
- Family Property disputes including Relationship Property division and Trust Resettlement
As a Mediator I have worked in many of the above listed specialty areas but notably in Valuation matters, including settling claims for compensation following compulsory acquisiton.
I have also worked as a Facilitator a role which has been made easier for me through my business experince leading an NZ Listed organisation.Relevantly I have experience in this context as :
- An Independent Chair on both private and public issues
- New Zealand Broadcasting Standards – Facilitating and negotiating Codes for Free to Air and Pay Television; TV and Radio complaints work generally.
LLB Canterbury University 1969