Dairy farm management consultant and conflict resolution specialist
Having 21 years technical consultancy experience in Southern New Zealand servicing the Dairy Industry I have successfully positioned myself as the bridge between owners and lower order/contract milkers and Managers thus avoiding any litigation processes between the parties.
I have been appointed as a conciliator, arbitrator and mediator on a number of occasions between parties with whom a conflict of interest was evident and assisted parties navigate a pathway to a resolution.
I have acted as an arbitrator, mediator, expert witness and as an advocate.
2002 - Present: Platfoot Consultancy Ltd formerly Platfoot Enterprises Ltd .
- Owner operator of consultancy business
- Actively involved with several dairy farm conversions
- Part time tutor for Telford Polytechnic (Business and Productionmanagement ).
- Member of New Zealand Institute of Primary Industry Management.
- Co-ordinator for Sustainable Farming Fund Research into Dairy Cow Production Feeding Wholecrop Cereal Silage Spring and Autumn in Southland[/i]
- Corporate Client: Solid Energy New Zealand Ltd
- Lease Land Agreements
- Tutoring Farm Safe Courses, Southland Region
Sheep, beef, dairy.
Facilitator and Ag Technical Consultant for MAF Kelso and Winton Dairy Sustainability Monitor Farms
AGRICULTURE NEW ZEALAND LTD
- Senior Agriculture Consultant (Dairy), Southland
- Member of AgNZ National Dairy Group
- Grass and Forage Management Specialist
- Whole Farm Consultancy aimed at improving financial security
- Author of Southland Dairy Commentary for MAF Farm Monitoring
ADAS, DEVON, UK
- Dairy Management Consultant Exeter, Devon
- Whole Farm/Family Consultancy work to assist farmers work towards improving their security
- Grassland and Forage Management Specialist Devon and Cornwa
- Project Leader of Nitrate Advisory Area.
- Welfare assistance with MAFF Veterinary Services
1986 - 1988 ADAS, DEVON UK
- Trainee Agriculture Consultant with ADAS, Totnes, Devon.
Director of Southland Demonstration Farm.
National Conciliator panel ( AMINZ ).
I own and am a director for Platfoot Consultancy Ltd specializing in dairy management consultancy.
I have a BSc Agricultural Technology from UK after which I became a dairy consultant for ADAS 1986-1994. I have been practicing as a dairy consultant in Southland/Otago for 21 years.
I am a registered farm consultant and member of the New Zealand Institute of Primary Industry Management. In 2013 I achieved a Graduate Diploma in Business Studies (Dispute Resolution) from Massey University. I am an Associate member of Arbitrators' and Mediators' Institute of New Zealand (AMINZ). I have been appointed to the National Panel of Conciliators with AMINZ.
I live in Hedgehope where I intensively graze rising 2 dairy heifers on 14.5 ha.
My consultancy is oriented around business management .dairy cow nutrition and relationship coaching.
My mantra is: "fully feeding the cow on a pasture based system and being open and honest leads to successful business performance".
From 1997 to 2012 I was the model controller for the MAF Southland Dairy Model which utilizes the financial and physical information from 25 Southland dairy farms for an actual and forecast financial model scenario.
I was a Director of the Southland Demonstration Farm 2012-2016.
My client base in Southland has always been a blend of owner operators, where owners often corporate with sharemilkers or contract milkers or managers. I have a thorough understanding of the Southland/South/West Otago dairy industry. I also work closely with graziers of dairy stock particularly for winter ensuring that expectations between both parties are clearly understood from the start as well as being called in to reverse poor grazing management. I have worked closely with the MAF Welfare Investigation unit on several occasions. I have been an expert witness on many occasions on a wide range of dairy farm management issues. Most commonly the issues related to cow condition and herd performance. I have witnessed the full range of dairy cow and dairy farm management abilities and seen some of the worst and best possible outcomes !
As a trained Conciliator and Mediator I have also been invited to understand the complexities of dairy farm business relationships to navigate a pathway for parties in conflict to resolve their differences before going to the more adversarial legal processes.
With the continuing volatility in the dairy payout there will be inevitable stresses on the range of relationships involved with Dairy Farm businesses as well as those servicing it .
Embedding conflict resolution strategies into your business plan and Investing in my experience and the passion I have to resolve and avoid conflict will enable a business to successfully navigate through the tough times and be in a position to optimise the situation when better economic conditions return.
As a trained Conciliator and Mediator I have been invited to understand the complexities of dairy farm business and domestic relationships to navigate a pathway for parties in conflict or under stresses to resolve their differences .
Embedding conflict resolution strategies into your business plan and investing in my experience and the passion I have to resolve and/or manage conflict will enable a business to successfully navigate through tough times and be in a position to optimise the situation when bettertimes arrive.
- BSc Ag Tech
- Graduate Diploma in Business Studies (Massey University).
- Associate AMINZ