I have over 40 years’ experience in rural and agricultural businesses and the issues that affect them. This includes business advice, farm accounting and taxation, family succession, leasing, dispute resolution, share milking contracts and the formation of farming syndicates. For the last four years I have become more involved in dispute resolution and mediation and have been working with banks and farmers to help resolve solvency and liquidity issues.
I was born and raised in Central Otago and the Agricultural sector has always been my passion. I worked as a farm appraiser and valuer for the Rural Bank before becoming an accountant at Coopers & Lybrand. In 1991 I started my own accountancy practice, and until recently was a Director of Brown Glassford & Co Limited in Christchurch.
Farm Debt Mediation
Peter holds qualifications in the below primary sector economics and financial areas:
- Role of primary and secondary creditors in farm operations
- Land holding and business arrangements, eg family trust, corporate farmers, Maori land, lairage, sharemilking and cross loans
- Farm financial and business planning tools
- Role of cooperative structures and arrangements
- Tax arrangements and obligations
- Knowledge of insolvency processes including receiverships, and succession planning
Bachelor of Agricultural Commerce in Valuation and Farm Management
Member of Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
Associate Member of AMINZ (Rural list)