Steve Alexander is an expert in building science, technology and regulations. Since 1997 he has investigated over 1000 buildings including appointments as expert witness in over 500 building and construction disputes. He has provided expert evidence in tribunals, adjudications, arbitrations and the High Court as well as appearing in hundreds of mediations as expert witness.
In determinative dispute resolution he conducts expert determination, adjudication and arbitration. His detailed understanding of the building industry assists with clarifying and resolving complex building disputes. Building disputes are invariably complex so the ability to accurately distill the issues into the facts and principals of law reduces cost.
Working throughout New Zealand in expert witness work he is regularly instructed by central and local government, insurers, institutional property owners and home owners. Has acted as Engineer to the Contract under NZS 3910 on many projects.
- Director Alexander and Co Ltd
- Director NZ Building Training and Compliance Ltd
- Director Eclipse Investments Ltd
- Trustee or advisor to three trusts
- Building Science Specialist, Building Surveyor and Dispute Resolution Consultant.
- Resident in Auckland with interests in Christchurch, Hawkes Bay and Taupo regions
1983 - 1997 Construction Manager Hawkes Bay and Auckland
1997 – 2000 Building Surveyor
2000 - Founder of Alexander and Co Ltd building and dispute resolution consultants.
2000 - Admitted as Fellow of AMINZ
Co author The Leaky Buildings Crisis: Understanding the issues. Thomson Reuters.
Presented numerous papers to conferences in NZ and North America.
Published in Build magazine and “At the Bar” barristers magazine.
- Building contracts
- Building defects
- Forensic investigation
- Building Code
- Timber joinery
- Aluminium joinery
- Energy Efficiency
- Building Science
- Material performance
- Fellow of the Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of NZ Inc.
- AMINZ panel of adjudicators
- NZCB and Dip Dispute Resolution (Arb)
- Member Building Officials Institute Inc.
- Registered Building Surveyor, MNZIBS
- Member NZ Institute of Building